The history of the Moulin du Vivier began on 27 August 1827.
François Marty and the Canal du Midi administration signed a treaty. Thus, the Moulin du Vivier building was built on the banks of the Canal du Midi in Saint Martin Lalande. And François Marty was the first farmer of the Mill.
Two years later, in 1829, the first tests were carried out.
François Marty ran the mill until his death in 1837. His wife then raised their four children there.


In 1872, Achille Maury occupied the Moulin du Vivier. He improved the process by building a washing machine in an extension upstream of the mill. Thanks to the treaty of 14 August 1873, he replaced the waterwheel with a cast iron tank turbine capable of producing 18 horsepower. He also built a small shed to park his carts.


After the purchase of the Canal du Midi by the State on 1 July 1898, the operation of the Moulin du Vivier came to a halt. The Canal du Midi service reserved the water for the exclusive use of navigation. The activity of the mills on the Canal du Midi was therefore called into question.
Thus, the Moulin de Naurouze stopped working in 1903, and the Moulin de Gay, in poor condition, was demolished in 1906.


In August 1902, Eugène Mir, then Senator of the Aude and owner of the building next door to the Cheminières estate, asked to rent the mill. He signed a lease on 8 February 1906 for a period of 18 years. He soon replaced the hydraulic power with electric power.
The Moulin du Vivier continued to supply flour. Its activity was even increased in the early days of the First World War for civilian and military purposes. It increased from 10 to 20 hours of work with a rate of 80 bags of wheat in 24 hours.
Eugène Mir's lease was renewed until 1934.


Then Louis Mazières, a miller, sublet the Mill to Eugène Mir in 1935. His lease was modified on 1 January 1943 and Louis Mazières became a direct tenant of the Mill. He was authorised to use the hydraulic power for production.
A report dated 17 October 1944 mentions the damage to the buildings caused by the German troops. Louis Mazières then had the mill repaired and continued its operation.
On 30 June 1959, he set up the company Moulins du Vivier - Louis Mazières et Compagnie. This company operated the mill until 2001.

Since 2002

Since January 1, 2002, we have been renting the Mill and its outbuildings and continuing the production of flour. We wish to bring back to life this old mill that we love so much.
In June 2012, we had to temporarily suspend flour production. However, we continued to supply bakers and confectioners in Occitanie thanks to our partnership with the Batigne flour mill.
In 2017, we opened a store selling the flours and local products.
And since 2019, a new stone millstone crushes the ultra-local cereals of the Lauragais: soft wheat, hard wheat, white corn, buckwheat. Thus, we can offer you local and quality flours.

We have renovated the Maison du Meunier into a charming gîte d'étape. This one is open for booking since April 2022. It is composed of 5 rooms and 14 beds. It is possible to book individual rooms or to privatize the place. Finally, an educational trail about the miller's work and a restaurant and service area will complete the complete renovation of this last active mill on the Canal du Midi.

Sylvie and Bernard Maury